Skip to main content

Retrain My Brain With YouTube - A Six Part Series - Day Four


I've set a goal. It's not a big goal or particularly difficult, but I have a habit of quitting what I try to start so I thought if I wrote it all down I would push through.

If you haven't read the previous parts of this series follow these links: Day one! Day two! Day Three!

I listen to a lot of positivity and self-motivational videos, talks and podcasts, but this video hit hard to home. I like to believe everyone is on a journey and I'm at this point in mine where I believe, like truly believe, I deserve happiness and success. I deserve to work hard at something and actually complete it. I deserve to not abandon a project once it starts going well because I'm afraid of success or don't feel I'm worthy of success.




So I made a commitment sitting on the floor of my office meditation/prayer room: I would listen to this video every day for 6 more days. I wanted to see if it would penetrate my consciousness and if the messages would ingrain themselves in my mind. I'll post my updates and may even do a vlog about my experience and how this impacts my soul journey.

Day Four - Tuesday:


Today has been a rough day mentally. I thrive off chaos and drama so when my life is going well I panic and unfortunately I often self sabotage. So I spent all my mental energy this morning stressing about money, my career, starting a family, travel. I wanted to quit my job. I wanted to run and explore and sit in the sun. As you can tell, I didn't listen to the video this morning and it took me a few...I'm ashamed to say hours, of me spiralling to remember that I'm meant to be showing gratitude.

Sitting in my workplaces prayer/ meditation room I just finished listening to it and I have to say - I feel more grounded. I feel more excited about life and I feel so thankful for everything I have and have already achieved.

Being mindful and showing gratitude is like training muscle. It takes constant practice and focus and this morning I feel like I fell off the wagon, but thankfully I was able to pick myself back up. I'm not saying the ability to bring yourself out of a spiral has to come from external means. Maybe you focus on your breathing, maybe you go for a walk and try to calm your mind. For me though, I like listening to the positive words of other people to remind me that it's all going to be okay.

As mentioned in the clip it's all about getting started and even if no one ever reads it, or if you all hate it, I'm still so glad I was able to put my anxiety aside and start. Writing has always been my flame and passion. It's what I turned to when I was a depressed adolescent and while the writing style has changed (no longer tales of love and high levels of angst haha) I still love the feeling of exploring my thoughts and sharing a story through writing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do People Stay With Abusive Parents?

The sad thing about abuse is it's all about training an individual to believe that without their abuser they're nothing. Abuse teaches the victim that they'll fail without the abusers hand guiding them through every situation. Although I was extremely depressed, always anxious and the most miserable I had been in my life, here are the reasons I stayed with my parents for as long as I did: The world is a bad place My parents lived by the mantra that everyone that isn't our family is out to get you. This, compounded by the fact that my mother would say one thing, but mean another, meant I felt I could never understand people. I couldn't protect myself in a situation and this of course made me even more scared of people. It got a point that even our extended family was conniving and not to be trusted. Isolation is a common and effect tactic in abusive relationships. I am the worst person that has ever lived My mother would take the smallest thing and turn ...

How to Overcome a Fear of Confrontation

When something nice or beautiful happens I always have the same thought: life is a funny thing. In these moments I feel so connected to everything in the universe and am so grateful to all the moving parts that had to come together to give me this exact moment. Usually these moments happen when I'm surrounded by friends, family or when I'm taking a solo walk through nature. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like the universe is conspiring against me. I feel as if no matter what I do or say nothing is going to work out for me. There is nothing outside of the pain and anxiety I feel in that moment. These may seem like two extremes, maybe they're only my extremes, I don't know, but I know a time when my anxiety shoots through the roof.  When I’m trying to express myself There is something about asking people for anything, especially to spend time with me, that makes me super uncomfortable. As a child of abuse you learn that your wants/needs/emotio...

I'm a Survivor of Child Abuse, not a Victim

I'm a survivor, not a victim. I'm not weaker because of my abuse. It doesn’t make me weird, strange or frankly even unique. It's made me stronger and this is something I struggled with for a long time. I felt like my childhood made me lesser of a person than everyone else. I blamed it for everything. My social anxiety - abuse. My depression – sucky childhood. My poor social support system – bad parenting. My relationship to my extended family – angry parents. My financial situation – sadness. Victim. Victim. Victim. Poor Sussan. A change of mindset can work wonders on changing the world around you. You become in control of the situation. You control your story and let’s face it – when your parents are abusive control is something you’ve barely felt before. Once I started seeing myself as a survivor and less (I still slip into victim mode here and there) I felt a sense of empowerment. I may not have had the beautiful family life that you see on te...